Genevieve is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment, UCT.
Education Research Focus
Genevieve has been participating in engaged scholarship with teaching and learning research since 2004, with the aim of improving teaching and learning in the education context. Her interests have been in peer tutoring, alienation vs engagement, development of engineering identity, use of technology in teaching and learning, risk awareness among students and the mainstreaming of soft skills/issues in an engineering curriculum. These interests have been closely linking either to her own interaction with students, curriculum development at programme level or to national trends within engineering education. She is also interested in the state of postgraduate education in South Africa, and the experiences of postgraduate students in SET subjects. Genevieve contributes to this area at national level, through her involvement with the South African Young Academy of Science.
- A Schutte, C Wright, GS Langdon, C Lochner, B Myers. The Research Experience of Young Scientists in South Africa, November 2013. (ISBN 978-0-9870160-6-5)
- G.S. Langdon, K.J. Balchin, PG Mufamadi, Evaluating risk awareness in undergraduate students studying mechanical engineering, European J. of Eng. Education, 35(5): 553-562, 2010.
- R. Carolissen. B Leibowitz, G.S. Langdon, Citizenship, Inclusion and Difference: higher educators’ teaching and learning projects, Higher Education Learning and Teaching Association of South Africa (HELTASA) Conference, November 2012.
- G.S. Langdon, B. Slippers, A. Stroebel, C. Wright, South Africa and the Young Academy Movement, 16th Annual Int Educ Assoc of South Africa Conf, Cape Town, 29 Aug – 1 Sept 2012 (Keynote speaker)
- G.S. Langdon, P.G. Mufamadi, K.J. Balchin, C.J. von Klemperer. Developing and evaluating risk awareness in undergraduate students studying Mechanical Engineering at UCT, UCT Teaching and Learning Conference, Rondebosch, South Africa, 2011.